This past week I often recalled Nurse Jennie's words...
"you will get pieces of G back!"
It was such an amazing week. Yeah, I know he was not on any chemo drugs (other than asthma, Bactrim and Nystatin) but we have had those kind of weeks before. But never w this much vibrant energy and glee. I just know Grandma's presence had a lot to do with it. But Charito and I found ourselves commenting on the same evening, a reflection of those words above. Were his behaviors this week a snapshot of what Grayson could have been like all these months had he not had to endure "the chapters of his new life"? Is this what things would have been like?
I know we will never know the truth. I believe the characteristics he possesses would have been there either way-stubborn, persistent infants don't just fluff that trait away. It is who they are and they take that with them. We knew that was our G 7+ mos ago. And I just know it is that trait, and so many more, that keep him plugging away at it all. So, I guess I am not questioning who my boy is, but maybe what life would have been like without cancer. Without a doubt it would have held less heartache, drama, fear and gut-wrenching pain. But that is not to say some of that may not have been sprinkled in? I mean, look at all the other sad events that fell at our feet that past few weeks/mos. All things that are out of my control. And being a mom always brings some of that into our lives doesn't it? To me it IS THE MOST emotionally-involved job out there. Wouldn't you agree?
But know that I will always bear in mind that with all the pain came gratitude, a reality check to toss the crap out of my life, tighter friendships, new friendships, new and beautiful people influencing and guiding us, and more compassion and hearts of gold we could have ever imagined.
Blessings is what they are.
And through it all our little Grayson pushed us forward, each and every morning. He needs us as much as we need him. That will forever be the case and I am perfectly happy with that contract. I made that promise to him the first time I laid eyes on him. A promise that will never pass. Here's to you, our lil fighter! Mommy and Daddy love you beyond words.
No comments:
Post a Comment