Our own lil superhero!

Our own lil superhero!
Dick Grayson ain't got nothin' on the G-man. Our lil fighter since in utero-a young, fiesty fireball...never giving up! Just watch me!

Monday, September 27, 2010

Changes contd

As you have read I am keeping a food journal...here is his latest taste toppers!

He has not been on steroids for almost 4 weeks so that hunger streak of a full meal every 45 minutes has not peeked its head this week. He still grazes all day long w one or two of the grazing periods completing a "full meal" over an hour or so. Everyone involved is happy w that food report. As much as I try to sneak in veggies and fruits (he will eat them periodically depending on the type) it is still most important he eats. He still sticks to his milk preference but I was able to spoil him w some pop this past week to shake up those taste buds a bit.

He still asks for hot dogs out of habit but doesnt even eat it when I make it. That then transpires into a sausage link of any kind though-a taste that has not subsided since steroids.

Newcomers this week included plain slices of bread, popped popcorn, plain white rice by the handfuls (Asian not Uncle Ben's, sorry San Fran), and anything else w dip. NOT ketchup this week. We have slid our way to Ranch dressing. It was disgusting for me to watch him dip his strawberries,apples and sausages in it! And he continues to love those sodium rich crackers-and of course, its not the cheapies. Its the Pepperidge Farm Selects sun dried tomato, formaggio cheese, garlic herb, etc. Pretty much mommy and daddy crackers. He is not liking cheese, raisins, yogurt raisins, cranberries-things he couldnt get enuf of 2 weeks ago. I am currently watching him dip his pepperoni pizza in ranch and I dont mind it at all. It reminds me of Monicals at EIU and I miss it!

I finally asked today if my triumphant opportunities of getting a veggie or fruit in him are even worthwhile. Does his body even absorb the vitamins I would typically be pushing on my kids or do the "poisons" of chemo cancel it out? The answer was yes, his body does take it in. So our plan of action continues to be-slip them in when he is eating anything and everything and isnt even looking to see whats in front of him (typically steroid times);be happy when he eats anything at all; and push fluids when food is not even staying down.

As you can imagine this makes for interesting menu plans at home. I used to tell T (bc my mom used to say it, "This is not a restaurant! You do not get to pick anything you want to eat for dinner. I will not cook 3 different meals". Well, I feel like that is exactly what I do w G. His tastes and moods change day by day and it is hard to keep it all straight. It makes it even harder when we actually do go out. What to pack for him as far snacks? I just bring TONS of options and hope I hit on one of them!

Unfortunately we cannot consider vitamin supplements to aid his diet and proper growth. They conflict w the medications and chemo. At least he drinks plenty of milk! But I found out today that can often lead to iron deficiency so we will deal w that when need be.

I also expressed concerns with his teeth. He barely tolerates teeth brushing nowadays. He used to enjoy chomping on that brush and moving it around mimicking T but not any longer. Rarely he will do it and thats if he even tolerated the shower or bath which used to be enjoyable but leads to an even bigger wrestling match (he did bathe w T Sunday morning w no hassle and brush his teeth his way-a first in WEEKS) which is how the routine used to be. Wooh, that was a long sentence! They would take a bath and then sit on a towel together giggling and brushing their teeth and then taking turns spitting into the sink. The buildup of plaque is soooo noticeable. And the more I read I find that the chemo can really do damage to proper tooth development and hygiene. I know your prob thinking whats the big deal-he has baby teeth? Well, those baby teeth and the effects of any mouth sores and gum irritations will impact the next set of teeth and how well they come in. Chemo Kids typically have many dental issues in the future. If I can avoid this I want some solutions, options, alternatives.

T has a dentist aptmt Wednesday and I was going to at least have G sit in the chair to become familiar w the environment. T had his first dental visit at 2 and I want to get the ball rolling for G. But chemo puts a damper on that plan for awhile. He is so susceptible to bleeding and not clotting quick enough that we have a hold on any dental visits. And in the future his doctors will require advance notice of any dental visits in order to pump him w antibiotics and determine if his blood numbers are even good enuf to sustain the exam. So for now I will let G sit in the chair and meet the staff. Nurse Megan gave me some flavored sponge brushes to use along w the washcloth wiping I have been doing I (she was so great, as soon as I mentioned what was on my mind she ran to the hospital floor and grabbed a handful for me). These sponge tips should be much more sensitive to his teeth and give the same effect of a toothbrush. Ironically, (once I saw them) they are the same tools my speech therapist friends use for oral motor exercises. So, now I know who to go to for the cheapest access to these babies online! We will try them tomorrow when he is not so tired and see how it goes.

Well, he is done eating his pizza w dip and playing playdoh. I am ready to get these kiddies to bed. Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment